Can LLMs truly understand our emotions?

  • A community for building, creating, and growing with AI.

    Welcome to AI Forums, a community for people using AI to build products, automate workflows, create content, and grow businesses. Discuss vibe coding, AI agents, Claude Code, Codex, automation, AI tools, product launches, marketing, and the latest developments in AI.

    Join the Community (it's FREE)!

Sparky_007

Member
Messages
57
LLMs are becoming increasingly sophisticated, able to hold conversations and even write poetry. But do they really understand our emotions? Or are they just mimicking human behavior based on the data they've been trained on?
 
As it stands at the moment, I don't believe LLMs can understand our emotions and this is because they are programmed to take data input and react to the data which will be the emotion they see in the data.
 
I have seen how AI-powered humanoid robots interact with human beings, and based on what I have seen in videos, I think if the machine has been programmed to understand emotions like love anger, etc., it will certainly understand human emotions.
 
There are some high level sophisticated AI machine that can read our heart beat rate, blood pressure, level of anxiety and so much more, all these can help the machine to decode the kind of emotion human beings are passing through.
 
No, I don't think a machine like AI is capable of understanding our emotions if they are not coded to so. Even some human beings doesn't fully understand their own feelings and emotions, how would a learning model be able to do so?
 
I have seen how AI-powered humanoid robots interact with human beings, and based on what I have seen in videos, I think if the machine has been programmed to understand emotions like love anger, etc., it will certainly understand human emotions.
Yes, it would be only the highly advanced AI programs that would be able of read and understand human emotions because they have been built to do so. Not all AI tools can be able to do something so big, their processing system wouldn't be up to the task of carrying the programming.
 
No not at all.
I don't think LLM's will be able to read human emotions as they are not programmed to be able to do that. I will be very shocked if one day they can read human emotion though.
 
No not at all.
I don't think LLM's will be able to read human emotions as they are not programmed to be able to do that. I will be very shocked if one day they can read human emotion though.
It will be a thing of serious shock to me as well should I see one day that LLM's can be able to read our emotions. This means that it's going to soon read our thoughts at the same time which is very scary.
 
Back
Top